Amazon.com
3,6 de 5 estrellas.
Recibe actualizaciones semanales, nuevos empleos y valoraciones

Valoraciones de Data Center Technician en Amazon.com

Título del empleo
Ubicación
Se han encontrado 49 valoraciones de empresa con los criterios de la búsqueda
Ver las 68.603 valoraciones
Cultura laboral
Amazon is a company that has a wide range of job opportunities in both the retail side and tech side of the business world. The tech side is growing very quickly. It looks for the best candidates and encourage career grow in a competitive atmosphere.
Great pay.
Desventajas
Needs to embrace standardize training over "tribal knowledge" training.
Cultura laboral
The good: The pay and benefits - health, dental, 401k, etc.The bad: It's a burnout culture. Personally, working for AWS is quite demanding. Frugality is king and you will be forced to do what you can with however little you have available. Data center technicians are held accountable metrically (40/week). This makes sense on paper because it is the easiest way to gauge personal performance. However, it does not create a positive work environment. Those who have been in IT support know that some break/fixes are quick fixes and others require more of your time and attention. Due to this, you will see everyone grabbing as many easy tickets as possible. You will see many making false claims over someone else's hard work. You will see employees withholding information from one another for job security. You will see many manipulate the system and resolves tickets because an issue is "no longer present." Overall, it creates a very toxic culture and I have seen some of the most helpful, positive people become less helpful and cheerful in even less than a year's time.
Cultura laboral
The job itself is good because you don't have to talk to people very often. Basically, you have to do your job and go home. The only problem is that they want you to reach 9 resolves per day which is absurd. The goals are very high to reach so what happens is that people stab each other for easy tickets. The methodology they created inside the Data Center will never allow employees to have a good work environment because you always have to take tickets from other people to succeed. I never worked in a company that wants you to have a specific number of resolves per day! All companies want you to complete one task in a specific timeframe. Why? Because each ticket is different. At the end of the day, your manager doesn't care about what you did only about your number!
good benefits.
goals impossible to reach
Cultura laboral
Managment at these data centers is out of control. They take 'frugality' to a new level, overwhelming employess with projects and offering no support. New tech is rolled out with zero warning or training, just a "Figure it out" attitude, and then management will throw you under the bus for errors that OF COURSE are going to pop up when there's no prep or training. Teams are silo'd and fight with each other all the time. Management is more interested in backbiting and managing upwards than taking care of their employees. Burn out is incredibly high. EVERYONE burns out at the data centers. Benefits suck. Nothing special at all. Vacation time is terrible. Paid holidays are like SEVEN a year. It's really bad. I've never worked for a tech company with such a bad time off policy. Data centers are remote and there's not any food. Commutes are long. It's just a bull terrible job and working here is one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.
Resume builder
Desventajas
This place is terrible. Stay away if you value your mental health
Cultura laboral
Currently working as a Data Center Technician at the IAD 73/74 location, and what stands out the most at this site specifically is the poor leadership and upper management. Leadership is exhibited from the top down and it shows. The team leads do not communicate enough to DCO contractors, fail to establish rules and expectations, and let alone introduce themselves to subordinates. They encourage us to ask questions, but when asked, beat around the bush or tell us to move on to the next ticket. It seems contractors learn from other contractors, but not from actual Amazon DCO techs unless they really "like" you. They withhold information/training as an act of having power over you. All of this creates a very toxic and exclusive work environment, especially between temp vs. perm workers. The permanent workers stick together at all costs even if they're wrong, and the contractors are so desperate to get converted, that they at times backstab each other and suck up to the permanent workers. The permanent workers have this "holier than thou" mentality, and that is coming from both the DCO contractors and the security guards that work there. The work altogether is interesting and fun, but it quickly fades away after realizing you won't learn anything further unless you are buddies with a permanent employee.
Ventajas
Pay, interesting work, flexible schedule
Desventajas
Management, toxic work culture, favoritism
¿Te ha sido de ayuda esta valoración?
Valora una empresa en la que hayas trabajado recientemente
Comparte tu experiencia para ayudar a otros
Cultura laboral
My manager asked me to clean up and intake some inventory. I got fired for doing what my manager wanted. They destroyed my emails, said I quit on my own after they took my badge/equipment. Then fired my manager 2 days later.
Good benefits and pay
Desventajas
Horrible management can’t trust anyone
Cultura laboral
Not a fun place to work High Stress Sharing the list of things to work can be hard Even if there is nothing to work your are still forced to meet your individual resolve quota Not really any training you are just thrown in to the job knowing nothing Would not recommend...
Cultura laboral
people are great and very helpful. benefits and pay are awesome. I went in with little experience. I now know even more than before in the hardware section of the computer field.
Cultura laboral
I have been working for Amazon for quite some time. I am pretty confident about my skills in break fix and repairs since I have a good working experience in IT for more than 8 years. I am doing stuff not only for break fix to get the promotion. I know some languages and pretty sure I can compete even with some managers. I am not saying everyone here is not good, in fact , some guys here or some managers here are kind enough to really help DCO techs to get promoted. Things is, when I asked my manager I want to get promoted and asked for help, he gave me a link to getting promoted, at first. Checked it, and believe me, an average IQ guy will definitely say this is 'no help', why?- theres no clear step to do it. So I asked him for follow ups and told me to do other things, so I did it while doing break fix and other stuff. Then I came again and asked him then we got an interview. He told me this time when I present things that I have done, ' Sorry but I could not just give or pass the promotion documents to my manager or boss that easily with only this'- meaning he said if he passes it to his boss, he wants it in a way that his boss will not refuse the offer for me to get promoted. I checked several times again about my docs and even checked the next level promotion guidelines, guess what, I am not being biased by I believe I have a good chance. I am an optimistic guy but my manager did not even want to try and submit it to his boss even if I have a good feeling about it. This is so unfair.And whats more, a lot of guys, getting promoted easily but when you check their skills and - más...
Cultura laboral
I have really enjoyed the professionalism of the managers while working at Amazon. I like the way the employees are catered too. I love the free lunches and the team involvement.
Free Lunchs, good working hours
Desventajas
long drive; no assigned desk space
Cultura laboral
Great people, and an awesome team. The commute is the only con, unless you live in Seattle. the interview process is a bit intimidating but as long as you share your experiences you will do fine.
Cultura laboral
come queue tickets while also watching for sev2 and prioritizing those first only allowed to work 1hr on tickets anything more need approvel, workplace culture is fend for yourself, no teamwork, all they care about as dco tech is your resolves, numbers is all they care about, the only enjoyable part was the first 6 months when it was new and interesting afterwards its allot of depression and repetition, most of the work you do and what they say is counter productive so it feels like you accomplished nothing. and surprise get ready to feel and do this every week, other blue badges have also expressed fear, stress, and depression
Cultura laboral
Quarterly activities with employees and flexible hours. Management tried to engage with employees for improvement process and keep employees engaged with new tasks
Cultura laboral
My experience working at amazon was primarily standing up a new cluster of data centers. It was an amazing experience during the stand-up but once it converted to maintenance and operation the management structure became a bit stifling so I moved on. Not that it would be bad for some but the new culture wasn't a great fit at the time. I would recommend this position if nothing else than for the experience of working at a data secure datacenter
Cultura laboral
I had some great/smart people around me and was able to learn a lot in my time here. It was very different from my previous positions in a small IT shop. Working in a Data Center has a very different mindset/skillset than I was used to, and the end result is that I learned a lot.
Cultura laboral
Hard work, feeling of accomplishment, good management with a strong workplace culture. The hardest part of the job is keeping documentation up to date. The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant growth, learning something new daily, and keeping current up to date knowledge of the ever changing environment.(s).
Cultura laboral
Upward promotion is very limited, and it's a lot harder to move around within the company than they lead you to believe. During my interviews I expressed interest in other teams and told that you had many options available. Once hired I learned this is not at all the case. Advice to Management I have meet several managers that have flat out told their team they are not there to help them succeed, you are on your own. This is a poor leadership style and leads to distrust among the team.
Cultura laboral
Customer Obsession Leaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust. Although leaders pay attention to competitors, they obsess over customers. Ownership Leaders are owners. They think long term and don’t sacrifice long-term value for short-term results. They act on behalf of the entire company, beyond just their own team. They never say “that’s not my job." Invent and Simplify Leaders expect and require innovation and invention from their teams and always find ways to simplify. They are externally aware, look for new ideas from everywhere, and are not limited by “not invented here." Because we do new things, we accept that we may be misunderstood for long periods of time. Are Right, A Lot Leaders are right a lot. They have strong judgement and good instincts. They seek diverse perspectives and work to disconfirm their beliefs. Learn and Be Curious Leaders are never done learning and always seek to improve themselves. They are curious about new possibilities and act to explore them. Hire and Develop the Best Leaders raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion. They recognise people with exceptional talent and willingly move them throughout the organisation. Leaders develop leaders and are serious about their role in coaching others. We work on behalf of our people to invent mechanisms for development like Career Choice. Insist on the Highest Standards Leaders have relentlessly high standards — many people may think these standards are unreasonably high. Leaders are continually raising - más...
Cultura laboral
I was able to move up the ladder at Amazon after performing a grueling amount of work. In hindsight, it may not have been worth it. I now have a very marketable position on my resume, but they also took a lot from me. The downfall, however, has been a serious toll on my mental and physical health. Amazon does more with less, and will run you dry. I just want a job, any job, where the management and requirements are reasonable. Pros: vertical mobility exists more so than other companies. Cons: you will be pulling you hair out because management makes illogical decisions, Amazon runs on a "more with less" mentality (like 90% less than what it should be in my opinion, making for quite the hair-pulling experience), and you will get paged on your trip to the beach. The culture is open, but it also incites giving away your personal time, life, and freedom. When they low-balled me for my new position after organizing a hugely successful event and coming in top 10 in the company, I uploaded my resume and decided enough was enough. Amazon is great in the short-term, but deplorable in the long-term. Pay your employees what they're worth and let them breathe. No wonder their turn around rate is terrible.
Cultura laboral
There's a lot of money to be made and a lot of positions will let you trade your mental health and family/personal time for extra hours. This won't necessarily result in upwards movement as there is a big political component to being able to promote within. You are usually far better off amicably leaving Amazon for a year or so, and then applying for a higher level position in a different area of Amazon. Locations where the leadership principles culture is strong can be nice to work in as it tends to dampen the internal politicking effects, which is much stronger at sites that are not steeped in Amazon culture. If you have the chance to work at Amazon, definitely do it, but be super careful not to burn out and make sure you don't get stuck in the same position for years. Get out after a year or two and do something related to where you want to go next in Amazon and then dive back in. Remember your value.
Cultura laboral
Amazon is a very good company to work with a very high standard on customer centric mission. While on-shift 24/7 operational data center point of contact for all high severity issues, work and meet service level agreements and conduct maintenance on servers and infrastructure via trouble ticket management. Perform small to mi-scale projects and process improvement ideas. amazon culture is very good in supporting ideas and developing individuals to lead projects, team and create ideas for day to day operations.
on-shift change every week